Friday, April 5, 2013

K-POP Rant: Idol or Artist

I recently came across this article that talks about SNSD’s Sooyoung wanting to be called an artist rather than an idol.

I’m sorry. No K-pop celebrity will ever be an artist. You’re either an idol or a singer. My definition of an artist does not involve music. My definition of musician does not include singers. I’ve read that someone’s definition of an artist is someone who freely creates and since Sooyoung has written a song she can be considered as one. Oh please.

You’re an idol if you’re in a young, talentless group singing cutesy songs while wearing provocative clothes to further entice with their bodies as if the dance wasn’t enough. Very general idea.

You’re a singer if you have a talent in singing. Oh my bias can sing. If you can sing better then post it on YouTube. I don’t see you on the music programs. People need to realize the difference between singing well and being a singer. If you can’t tell that apart, I can’t communicate with you.

There are some people in idol groups who are above the idol status, but lower than the singer status. They’ll always be in between because they’re part of an idol group so I’ll always see them as an talented idol. No, that doesn’t mean I think the main vocals in every group are talented.

Going back to SNSD. They’re one of SM Entertainment’s best profitable creations. Oh hey, looks like SM is an artist since it created SNSD. They’re completely SM style. The girls can “sing”, but singers? Hardly. Therefore, idol. Some of them get 2 second lines per song. What is their purpose in the group? Dancer? Visual? Filling up space? Oh, but Taeyeon’s the main vocalist. Other singers respect her. I acknowledge her singing, but to me, she’s an idol.

I just couldn’t hold in my scoff when I read the article. What’s there to debate? They’re idols. End of story.

This is all a very unorganized rant, but I was so amused that Sooyoung would think SNSD could be called an artist. My respect for idols is tiny to none. SNSD is an idol.

-Cassis-

No comments:

Post a Comment