Friday, December 28, 2012

K-drama: The Moon That Embraces The Sun

I was addicted to this drama for quite a while.

Background: A thirteen year old, Yeon Woo, meets the Crown Prince and young love blooms. She’s eventually a candidate to become his wife, but she’s got competition from Bo Kyung, another young girl, who the Queen Dowager favors. The Queen Dowager will do anything to have Bo Kyung as Queen, but the Crown Prince only wants Yeon Woo. Prophecy. Amnesia. Yeah, stuff happens.

Actors:
Yeo Jingoo as the young Crown Prince Lee Hwon. I’m so amazed by his acting, he’s so cute. Adorable. I want to hug you. There was this one sad scene I remember, he portrayed his heart-breaking emotions so nicely. Well done.
Kim Soohyun as the older Crown Prince (The King now). NO. They grew up! But Soohyun…I approve. He played the King well. I loved his acting. This drama really impresses me with the acting. He’s so cute too. I was in the let me love you stage for a couple of weeks.
Kim Yoo Jung as the young Heo Yeon Woo. My favorite child actress! I love her. Yoo Jung and Jingoo’s acting was spot on. It wasn’t perfect of course, but they got my acceptance and I’m enormously picky with k-dramas. She’s such a sweet girl and I honestly wish her the best in her acting career.
Han GaIn as the older Yeon Woo. She ruins the whole drama for me. If she wasn’t a part of this drama, it would have been perfect. Her acting was the worst. Her eyes are strangely widely opened most of the time. The fact that she was the main character, horrible. Terrible.
Lee Minho as young Prince Yang Myung, the half brother of the Crown Prince. He plays such a sad character. Poor baby. I first saw him on another drama, Rooftop Prince, and he was cute there too so that played in his favor of my liking him in this drama. Ah yes, Yang Myung likes Yeon Woo too.
Jung Il Woo as the older Prince Yang Myung. I’m superficial and Il Woo does nothing for me so I was disappointed in this change. I want Minho back. However, the change from Yoo Jung to GaIn was even worse. I’ll accept the prince’s change with open arms. Yuanie loves him though and if you agree with her, check out her post “Eyecandy: Jung Il Woo”.
Kim Sohyun as young BoKyung. She wants the Crown Prince. She’s such a sad character too.
Kim Min Seo as the older BoKyung. I know lots of people have a deep hatred towards her, but in my opinion, that’s a sign that she’s acting well. If she was terrible at playing this evil psychotic person, then people wouldn’t hate her to the extent to start insulting her looks. Again, I loved her acting. Especially when she starts going insane.
 Jin JiHee as young Princess Minhwa, the younger sister of the Crown Prince. She’s so adorable. She plays the whiny crybaby perfectly. She’s so cute. This brat causes some problems, but I still love her. All she wants is her brother’s teacher’s love. She wants to marry him because she has cute feelings for him. It seems like a cute side story, but keep on eye on it.
Nam BoRa as the older Princess Minhwa. Ha! She’s back! Despite her change is looks, one thing hasn’t changed. Her undying love of Yeom. This character, I love her.
Yim Siwan as Heo Yeom, Yeon Woo’s older brother. He becomes the Crown Prince’s teacher and can charm anyone with his looks apparently. I didn’t know he was a member of an idol group called ZE:A until a few episodes in. Idol turn actor? Great. By to his abnormally good looks. He looks so perfect that everyone is charmed by his looks. There’s a scene where a guy bumps into him and gets angry at him for it, but one look at Yeom’s face and BAM! Hi, want to be my friend? This is the guy Princess Minhwa is cutely crushing on.
Song Jae Hee as older Heo Yeom. Oh dear. What happened to you? No. I do not approve. Not in the slightest.
Lee Won Gun as Woon. The only thing I thought was that he kind of looks like Onew from Shinee here. I think like the friendship he has with Heo Yeom and Prince Yang Myun. They’re like best buddies and I like how their friendship portrays the different class level. The prince is the highest, Yeom is the middle and Woon is the lowest. Woon has a mother who was a slave so his rank just goes bye bye.
Song Jae Rim as older Woon. Oh man. You first see him in a dark corner in Hwon’s room guarding him as he sleeps. People said that he looked like Michael Jackson. LOL. I love how people were completely devastated by the change and then they slowly fell in love with him until their ovaries were exploding left and right. I love this character. I wish he had more lines, more screen time. Gusta.
Jung Eun Pyo as Hyung Sun the eunuch for the Crown Prince. I know it’s hard to see his face in this picture, but I just absolutely love this guy. This scene is amazing. The Crown Prince and Yeon Woo is having a lovey dovey moment and Hyung Sun is on the roof waiting for the Prince’s signal to start fanning flower petals down below to create a romantic scene for them. The Prince and the eunuch are so hilarious together. Definitely one of my favorite characters.

There are obviously way more characters than this, but I only mentioned the main characters and a couple of the ones I absolutely loved.

The Drama: This drama was my life. I hate k-dramas. Absolutely hate them. So I was really surprised that I liked this drama so much. The child actors were brilliant. I love them all. I wanted this drama to be a happy love story between the Crown Prince and Yeon Woo. They’re so cute together with the eunuch creating a romantic atmosphere on the prince’s orders.

Spoiler warning from here on.

Prince Yang Myung…oh the poor baby. He loves Yeon Woo too. NO. He wasn’t supposed to die! Neither was BoKyung. They had such sad lives. Despite BoKyung being this psychopathic lunatic.

I love to relationship the Crown Prince has with Woon. Woon’s one of his only friends and they have a strange relationship with one being the King and the other being a servant. I love those two together, but what’s even better is those two plus the eunuch. That trio. Love.

The eunuch, oh man. He’s hilarious. I feel so bad for him though. Being picked on by the Crown Prince all the time. He made his eunuch make him a mini snowman so he could escape the palace. Genius.

Yeon Woo getting amnesia was plain stupid. It took forever for her memories to return and it took just as long for Lee Hwon to realize that she’s the girl he’s been abstaining for. On that note, BoKyung! Seriously, I feel bad for this girl. Being used by her own father when all she wanted was Hwon to notice her and forget about Yeon Woo.

I cried though. When Yeon Woo “died”. Her family was torn apart. It was sad seeing her life stop and fall into pieces. Everyone who was involved with her, their lives were also shattered. So sad. Even though Princess Minhwa had a large part in this, I couldn’t really hate her. She was just an silly innocent girl at the time.

AH! I’m starting to fall in love with this drama again. There’s so much more to this drama, but this was a sufficient rant for me to calm down from this drama. Hm, or maybe I made it worse.

-Cassis-

No comments:

Post a Comment