Wednesday, December 26, 2012

First Impression: Jay Chou's 'Gong Gong with Headache'


This song. This MV. I almost died of laughter. I'm not a diligent follower of Jay Chou so the Jay Chou I know is the one who sings 'Tornado' and 'I'm Not Worthy', not this fellow who sings about eunuchs. I'm not Chinese so I watched it without knowing what the song was about, but Yuanie gave me a bit of background information (She's also the one who showed me the MV). Nothing could have prepared me for the MV itself though. Just look at the picture of him above. Be prepared ladies, as I dance to you in my Chinese clothes singing about an eunuch.

Nothing was special to me in the beginning until I heard the guy's laugh. That laugh where nothing is funny, but you need to force out a sincere laugh for the take. Yuanie told me he's the emperor ordering the jester's head to be cut off. My, my. At least the jester gave the emperor one last laugh with his failure.

Then I saw a group of these faces jumping around as the music started. Is this some sort of Chinese culture I'm not familiar with? Because they are scary as hell. What is your purpose in the palace? Jump around and do some Asian looking exercises? This particular scary being seems to have a different duty compared to the others. A hand that's attached to a body for the eunuch to use to play his guitar. That's perfectly normal.
One of the best parts of the MV for me was how he's dancing in Chinese clothes. Something about it. Just seeing him like that. Look at how pretty he's posing. At this very moment, he's saying "gong gong gong gong gong gong". I accepted it at first, but then I had to know. What in the world is "gong gong"?
EUNUCH. He's repeating the word 'eunuch'! Oh man, let me wipe a tear. The song itself is very upbeat which I'm not used to from Jay Chou. I wasn't imagining the song to be in a soft slow melody used in sad love songs, but I wasn't entirely expecting it to be upbeat either.
Now what the hell is that? There's this random ninja with a sorry ass knife trying to kill the eunuch with a fairy wand with Barbie's hair.
Embracing the Chinese in him, isn't he? He's even got the glasses. A few seconds later, he's surrounded by two girls. Well done. One of the girls has a very noticeable cleavage unfit for an Asian lady. Flaunt it all you want girl, Jay Chou doesn't care, he's just going to sing about a castrated male.
Apparently, Jay Chou is so awesome, that when he stomps on the ground, the people around him jump. Look at that pose of his. I am Jay Chou. Yes, yes you are. You're also dancing in Chinese clothes again. I can't breathe. I don't know why I find that hilarious.
This was disturbing. No matter how many times people use this common trick of a seemingly attractive woman who turns out to be a hideous man, I will never stop being scarred. What was he doing in a flower petal bath with make up on? Why. He also had some pretty feminine legs.

You see that pearl necklace around his neck? He is about to spin it like a BOSS. I had to point it out. It had to be mentioned.

I smell a troll. The emperor is giving the eunuch a handful of what looked to be gold. Look at how excited the poor eunuch looks. It turns out it's just chocolate wrapped in gold colored wrapper. Genius. This emperor has my respect. The look on the eunuch's face when he realizes it's just chocolate. Nah, bro. Dude, seriously? Poor guy.

LOL. What just happened? Why did his head fall from his shoulders? I don't know the lyrics. Does the lyrics say something like 'OOPS. Now you're beheaded!"? And again, what is with that fairy wand? The two backup dancers' face is distracting as well.
In the end, I couldn't stop laughing. Dancing in Chinese clothes. Singing about eunuchs. GONG GONG. The trolling. The scary ass faces. The choreography. I only mentioned a few that truly killed me, but believe me, there's more to this MV. It's a song that I'll most likely listen to for a few days, but the addiction will fade like a fad. For now though, someone get me an oxygen mask, I can't breathe.

-Cassis-

1 comment:

  1. I find this song weirdly addicting,only chou can pull something like this off

    ReplyDelete