Saturday, December 29, 2012

Movie Review: Paradise Kiss


Japanese movie Paradise Kiss, based on a manga and anime. Starring Keigo Kitagawa and Osamu Mukai.

Plot (taken from AsianWiki): Yukari Hayasaka (Keiko Kitagawa) is a high school student who has become tired of her life of constant schooling. She then comes across a group of student fashion designers in need of a model for their "Paradise Kiss" clothing label. Yukari knows nothing about the fashion world and is taken back by the group's eccentric ways, but she soon comes to admire their free thinking ways and ability to pursue their dreams with a one track mind ...

This movie is actually meant to be a live action of the manga Paradise Kiss, but I watched it without knowing much about the manga itself. I didn't even know there was an anime. I just came across this Japanese movie and it was about fashion so I was instantly interested. This review will just be about the movie overall, I won't be comparing it between the manga or anime.


I am not familiar with any of the actors in here besides Aya Omasa (She was the main girl in Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge or Perfect Girl Evolution). This girl above is Keiko Kitagawa, she is the main character, plays high school girl Yukari that's obessed with studying and getting the perfect grades. I like her acting a lot, she wasn't over dramatic like some Japanese actresses and she played her role well. She was scouted by Arashi from the fashion group "Paradise Kiss" to be their model in their graduation fashion show. Then her whole life started to change, for the better :)

That is George Koizumi, played by Osamu Mukai. He is a genius fashion designer and sort of the leader of "Paradise Kiss". Romance blossoms between him and Yukari. At first, Yukari is scared of him, but I didn't find him scary at all. I don't know, I thought he was just cool but not scary. Anyways he does a great job acting too. I didn't like how he wore hats a lot, but he pulled it off and looked good. He also says lots of inspirational lines lol.



Those three, I love them. They are rest of the members in Paradise Kiss. From left to right: Miwako, Isabella, and Arashi. For me, they were most of the comedy in this film. Love all three characters, and it was weird for me to see Aya Omasa playing such a cutesy character lol.


Guy on left is actually Yukari's crush in the beginning of the movie. His name is Hiroyuki Tokumori and I felt bad for this guy. He didn't get his childhood love and Yukari ended up rejecting him. Poor thing, I'll take you in :)

Okay, the movie was fun for me. All the fashion, modeling, and hot guys was just like my dream world. I didn't like the relationship development between George and Yukari though. It was like suddenly they were deeply in love with each other, I wish there was more scenes or some sort of explanation. They do make a great couple though, and the kiss scenes were sooo cutee!!! Their fashion show was amazing, I remember being so excited when it was Yukari's turn. I was probably more nervous than she was xD Apparently the ending in the movie was changed too.
SPOILER. I WARNED YOU. Skip the next paragraph if you don't want to know.

In the manga, Yukari actually ends up marrying Hiroyuki because George left to Paris. However in the movie she rejects Hiroyuki and meets up with George in New York. I thought that was so sweet, we all want that ending lol. But in New York? Why can't you guys just meet in Japan? Also why didn't George contact you at all in 3 years? Anyways, I liked the ending so I won't complain too much.

Conclusion: I like the movie, it was worth watching. Even though some parts are totally unbelievable but it made me happy at the end. There are way more to the movie that I didn't reveal. The music in the movie was good too, I liked all the songs that were played.  If you are a fan of the manga you might be a little disappointed because the plot is altered and lots of it are probably missing. I do recommand watching it if you are in the mood for a cute movie.

-Yuanie-


No comments:

Post a Comment